référence : http://listes.cru.fr/arc/mascarene/1995-01/msg00013.html

Re: Traduction de "mise en abyme" (fwd) BOURASSA ANDRE G

> Dear Andre,
>         an English term I have encountered while editing or
> translating works of literary criticism is "intercalation", adj.
> intercalated. It functions on the more strictly structural level,
> usually describing a series of boxes or frames, each successively
> larger one embracing all its lesser predecessors, or conversely,
> each smaller one fitting entirely within a larger unit. I mean
> structural in that this term seems only to describe the technique
> and formal result of the interpolation, and does not address
> questions of meta-reality or self-referentiality. Often the
> writer describes what he means by analogy to "Chinese boxes," or
> even to the usually untranslated/untranslatable French term, mise
> en abyme.
>         I note in my collegiate Merriam-Webster that the second
> definition seems relevant: "intercalate:2: to insert between or
> among existing elements or layers" The primary definition,
> relating to the emendment of calendars, suggests on the other
> hand a single isolated interpolation of a lesser unit, rather
> than, as used in literary criticism, something in essence equally
> comprehensive but diminished in scale. I suspect the literary
> usage to be a useful coinage, diverging somewhat from the
> traditional use of the term with its associations of, e.g.
> "intercalary days."
>         Hope this is of some use: the arms of x intercalated
> within y's device, etc.
>         William Plail