---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 1995 01:37:35 +0200
From: Helene Bostrom <hmb@KTH.SE>

On Tue, 4 Apr 1995, Cameron Deaver wrote:

> What is the nature of the actual physical playing space most often used
> and of the space represented in the action of the play?  What changes in
> the physical playing space occurred over the centuries?  What changes
> occur in the space *represented* in medieval French plays?
>
> What is the relationship between the two?  How did changes in the
> performance space affect the structure, content and meaning of the
> play?  And/or did the content and structure of the plays influence the
> way in which the plays were presented?
>
> What is the relationship between the physical playing space and the
> various genres of medieval drama?  What are the common movements
> (changes in place, space) depicted in the French medieval plays? in the
> various genres? over time?
>
> What relationships exist among the central loci (garden, church/abbey,
> tavern, town) of various plays?  What is the significance of travel in the
> plays?  What about movement through time? passage of time?
>
> What relationships exist between changes in use of dramatic space and
> changes in the language of the plays?
>
> How does space, movement, and time change in other arts during the
> middle ages?  (painting, sculpture, music, poetry, prose)  What are the
> relationships between theater and other arts as far as the representation
> of space is concerned?  What other relationships exist between the
> notion of space in the theater and the ideas found in other "non-artistic"
> fields and disciplines? (politics, economics, exploration, history,
> philosophy, etc.)
>
> As I mentioned above, I primarily concerned with _Saint Nicolas_, but I'm
> also exploring the possibility of working Adam de la Halle's _Le jeu de la
> feuill#e_ into the discussion.  Furthermore, I'd like to understand better
> the nature of comedy and its use of dramatic space, especially as these
> topics relate to _Nicolas_ and _Feuill#e_.  In addition, I'm trying to see
> more clearly the nature of the "adaptation" (?) both authors make: miracle
> play > Nicolas and Adam play > Feuill#e.
>
> Please don't be shy about offering suggestions and opinions.  I'm
> exploring everything I can and open to anything I find.  I'm also hard to
> offend, so don't worry about "insulting my intelligence".  Send me
> anything you can think of.
>
> merci merci merci merci merci
>
> Cameron Deaver
> CAM@WORDPERFECT.COM

Cameron,

I'm dealing with similar questions in a paper about space in contemporary
text-based productions. Some things I've looked at alone the way which
might be of use to you are: George Kernodle's "From Art to Theatre: Form
and Convention in the Renaissance." The two first chapters deal with
pre-Renaissance theatre and the bibliography is especially useful. "The
Theatrical Space" edited by James Redmond, vol. 9 in the Themes in Drama
series, Cambridge University Press; especially Pamela King's essay "
Spatial Semantics and the medieval Theatre."

For an art-historical perspective you may want to check Gombrich, Arnheim
and Panovksy.

If you have any tips about the relationship of the development of
dramatic structure and conventions of space perception, I'd be very
grateful to hear about them.

Good luck with your research.

Janet Colletti

email: hmb@kth.se