Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 19:43:05 -0500 (EST)
From: Siglind Bruhn <siglind@umich.edu>
To: secfs@acpub.duke.edu
Subject: QUERY regarding French vaudeville

Dear list members,

	My colleagues in the French literature department, whom I had
addressed with the question mentioned below, recommended I put the question
onto your list. I am glad to do so, since I seem to have exhausted both
my own field's (musicology) lists and my library skills.

	I am working, as part of a project on literary, art, and musical
realizations of "The Temptation of Saint Antony [/Anthony]," on a song
cycle by 20th-century German composer Werner Egk, based (literally, so far
as I can tell) on 18th-century French playwright Michel-Jean Sedaine's
"Tentation de Saint-Antoine." In this context, I have two questions.
One regards a translation: In the context of dressing the saint's pig with
a hood, Sedaine writes: "Ils en firent un moine, *il n'en coutoit que la
facon*." How does one best render (in 18th-century or later English) this
expression?

	My second question is one with which I would not like to clog
the list at large. Assuming that Sedaine may be playing with the
expectation for the popularly known lyrics and the surprise,
contradiction etc. provided in his own rewordings, I have been trying to
identify the original texts. I have found 7 of the 13, but am still
looking--in vain by now--for the remaining six. Would anybody feel
confident to give this a try? In that case, I'd post you (privately)
the title lines.

Thank you in advance for any help you may give.

Dr. Siglind Bruhn
Research Associate, Music and Humanities
University of Michigan (tel/fax: 313/741-9737)