référence : http://listes.cru.fr/arc/mascarene/1999-04/msg00005.html

Association des artistes dramatiques de Serbie bourassa.andre_g

Bonjour!
J'ai reçu ce texte par une autre liste et j'ai pensé qu'il toucherrait
celles et ceuz parmi vous qui lisent l'anglais. C'est ma deuxième tentative
de la faire passer. J'espère que celle-ci est la bonne. Ce texte est d'une
sobriété remarquable, tout entier centré sur la survie du théâtre en Serbie
bombardée. Il  fait penser à certaines manifestations de la Laterna magica.
Ou encore, paradoxalement, à cette troupe de Sarajevo qui continua à jouer
à la chandelle sous les bombes. J'aimerais bien, d'ailleurs, qu'on nous
dile le nom de cette troupe héroïque de Sarajevo. Puisse le théâtre
contribuer à faire rayonmner la paix.
Cordialement, André G. Bourassa.

In an international message on World Theatre Day, Mrs Vigdis
Finbogadottir outlines reasons for the survival of the theatre which, in
our modern civilised world, is faced with serious problems.
The same modern civilised world has placed all of us, our country and
our theatre in a situation which is irreconcilable with its own proclaimed
ethical standards. Therefore, we consider that our reasons for the
theatre to survive at this moment are far stronger.
Confronted with bombs, destroyed towns, lost lives, and the whole
aggressive attack upon human integrity, we are trying to justify the
very existence of the theatre and to go on living the only way we know- by
performing. Our own individual and personal reasons may be different. On
 the one hand, it may represent an escape from the present awful reality;
on the other, the reason may lie in a clear, conscious and critical
stand against the horrors which someone has decided to "stage" in another
country at the end of the twentieth century.
Fully aware that our decision cannot influence objective circumstances,
like air raid warnings, loss of electricity, a ban on public meetings
and other unpredictable events, we shall do all in our power to ensure that
the theatre goes on as long as is humanly possible. Therefore, the
Association of Dramatic Artists of Serbia calls upon its members to
continue to play in their theatres as far as is realistically possible
at this  very unreal time.
We do not have the right to ask others to join us, but in this way we
wish to inform our audiences that we shall continue to be when they can
always find us- an that is, on stage.
Let the theatre be our bomb shelter.

Presidency of the Association of the Dramatic Artists of Serbia
President: Tihomir Stanic