From: "Mark Batty" <batty@ENGLISH.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK>
To: <SCUDD@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 11:32 AM
Subject: Voltaire reference

I'm forwarding this query to the list for a colleague

>From Dr Russell Goulbourne - r.j.goulbourne@leeds.ac.uk

Dear colleagues

I am writing to you with a query about 18th-c. English drama.

I'm currently doing some work on Voltaire's tragedy Les Lois de Minos
(1773), which is peppered with footnotes. In one of these notes, Voltaire
refers to an 'amas de spectacles grotesques appelés par les Anglais Show' [a
load of grotesque spectacles called "Show" by the English]. Does anyone know
what this "Show" is?
Any suggestions would be very welcome.
With thanks

Russell Goulbourne