référence : http://listes.cru.fr/arc/medievale/1999-01/msg00048.html

[MEDIEVALE:1799] Ewerer &tc Stan Kelly Bootle

Tres chere Liste:
A. Re-joueur de flute:
_Pied Piper_ 1. the hero of a German folk legend popularized in
"The Pied Piper of Hamelin" (1842) by Robert Browning.
2. (sometimes lower case) a person who induces others to follow
or imitate him or her, especially by means of false or
extravagant promises. (Random House Unabridged Dictionary,
2nd Ed, 1997).
Notez bien: "pied" (pronounced \pi:d\) is
Middle English ("having patches of several colours") derived
from the black and white plumage of the _magpie_ bird). With this
etymology, the vulgar term "pied noir" would be an oxymoron.
(Entre-nous, mon tres beau-frere Emile Godoy RIP etait ne' en Oran.)
B. _Ewer_ (a wide-spouted pitcher/vessel chiefly for serving water) and
its derivatives (_ewery_: where the ewers are stored) and _ewerer_ (one,
usually female, who serves the water) can all be tagged as "archaic"
(who nowadays can afford such _specialized_ lackeys?) surviving _un peu_
in some N. English dialects. Alas, in Scouse (the Liverpool dialect [ref 1])
_ewer/hewer_ appears as a corruption of "whore" (putain). There are
similar potential dialectic confusions with the verb _hew_ (cut, smite,
shape) cf. the "Big 'Ewer" legends in the NE Eng. (Durham, Newcastle)
coal mines. These Stakhanovite heroes (a la John Henry) died "hewin'
the 4-foot seams" in order to "save the pit." The gap between serving
water to the XIIeme siecle gentry and digging "dusty diamonds" where
"the sun never shines," deserves a prolonged dissertation, n'est-ce pas?

>D'aprhs toutes ces riponses, j'opterais pour ichanson si...
>Si dans le texte anglais, "ewerer" ne servait pas ` disigner un
domestique qui
>annonce les visiteurs (dans un chbteau, au XIIhme sihcle) !
>Il est tout ` fait probable que l'auteur se soit trompi de terme, car il
>s'agit d'un roman trhs trhs vulgarisi... Quelqu'un aurait-il une suggestion
>pour disigner le domestique en question ? Un majordome ???
>Merci encore, Naomi

A wonderful translational challenge! What if the author deliberately
misused "ewerer"? (E.g., should a translator "correct" the many
anachronisms in Shakespeare?) How to suggest this en francais?
Majordomo est trop trop _pesant_! Il est _masc._ et il ne sert que
_l'eau lourde_! -- PAX etc Stan
 ---following .sig appears automatically beyond my control---
Stan Kelly-Bootle; Contributing Editor: UNIX Review/Performance
Computing; Object Magazine/Component Strategies Magazine; C/C++
Users Journal; Contributor & Jolt Judge for Software Development
Magazine.

skb@crl.com; http://www.crl.com/~skb/ (updated 10/25/98)

See also Stan's Corner on www.sdmagazine.com and Devil's Advocate
archives on www.performance-computing.com.
SANS OUBLIER my _The Computer Contradictionary_, MIT Press, 1995
ONLY $14.95 for the paperback ed. SORDID e-commercial PUSH!
COMING SOON from R&D Books: BODA, _The Best of Devil's Advocate_,
a modest, BODAcious anthology of my 1984-1999 columnies PLUS
a virtual January 2000 column predicting cosmic doom and disaster.

ref 1: _Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language_, ed. D. Crystal, p.27.
_Lern [sic] Yerself [sic] Scouse_, Spiegl/Shaw/Kelly-Bootle, Scouse Press,
16th Ed., 1986.