référence : http://listes.cru.fr/arc/medievale/1999-07/msg00009.html

[MEDIEVALE:2060] MEDIEVALE:2057] Décoration ou érosion ? Christopher Crockett

Dear Stephane,

I did not reply to your original query concerning those "holy" stones of yours
because I really know little about that particular decorative
motif and hoped that someone else on this list who knew more would
respond and educate us all (including me!)

It is hard to imagine a natural process which would yield such regular
pitting--and rows of holes so well-organized within the shape of the
stones(!), though clearly the purpose of the carving is to impart something of
a more "natural" texture to the surface.

I have always associated the origin of docoration of that sort with work of
the 17th or early 18th centuries; and that appears to me to be the appoximate
date of the portal in your photo.

There are several examples of this kind of "rustic" work on the south lower
facade of the Bishops' palace at Chartres, if I recall correctly.

Hope this helps.

(Oh, and, yes, it is bad form to send large attachements to the list, as it
may cause problems for those subscribers who have old or slow connections or
machines.)

------------------------
Yo! "Cyparis":

No one appreciates a wise-ass;

particularly an annonymous one.

voici la "formule magique" que tu a perdu:

>>> Pour être retiré de cette liste d'envois, écrire à: listproc@uqam.ca
avec comme seule ligne de message:  unsubscribe MEDIEVALE

la utilisée, s.v.p.
(a.s.a.p.)

au revoir, hot shot.
------------------------------

My apologies for addressing the list in English.

Best to all from here,

Christopher

Christopher

Christopher Crockett

Would-be future curator of the
Centre des Etudes Chartraines
a home on the Web for Chartres-
related scholarship from all disciplines,
comming sometime in the next millenium
to a web site near you.

And Pres. & CEO of
Christopher's Book Room
P.O. Box 1061
Bloomington, IN 47402
(Corporate motto: "Will sell Books for Food")

christophercrockett@netscape.net
bccrockett@usa.net