référence : http://listes.cru.fr/arc/mascarene/1995-01/msg00011.html

Re: MISE EN ABYME BOURASSA ANDRE G

"Mise en abyme" is a medieval French term of heraldry. It would be
interesting that the medieval list would look for an English equivalent.
Self-reflexivity does refer to the same concept; also
"autorepresentation" and "autoreferentialite" in French. Meta-theatre and
meta-film have something in common with the mise en abyme, but it refers
to something parallel as the mise en abyme refers to an insert.
Meta-theatre is a discourse on discourse, theatre on theatre; mise en
abyme is a discourse in the discourse, theatre in theatre, like the
tempest in a glass in _The Tempest_. The two concepts could sometimes be
close, like in in Pirandello's play where actors play the roles of actors
and discuss within the play about acting.