Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 09:47:32 -0500
From: RICHARD SEAVER <RSEAVER@VAXA.CLARION.EDU>
To: Multiple recipients of list ASTR-L
<ASTR-L%UIUCVMD.BitNet@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Re: Theatre History Texts

FROM: Avi Seaver. Clarion U. of PA 2/9/95

I am on the cusp of teaching Christian religious theatre. I am using
Robert Cohen's two texts--"Theatre" and Eight Plays for Theatre". Although  the
amount of text space in "Theatre" is brief--which serves my objectives well-
, his point of view is unapologetically favorable. Specifically, "The Middle
Ages were neither transitory nor primitive; and in truth some of the achieve-
ments of that day, including the theatrical ones, have never been surpassed
in magnitude or in popular appeal."[p. 106] "Eight PLays" includes "The Plaie
Called Corpus Christi." Watson and McKernie's "A Cultural History of Theatre"
(which I am using along with Wickham general history etc. to flesh the high-
lights of the period in my lectures) is also very positive in outlook.
"...medieval drama made significant contribution to the history of theatre."
"Perhaps the most important contribution...was its creation of a theatre of
faith and community."[p. 84] Of course, if students think faith and community
are passe, you're not likely to alter much. My challenge with teaching this
section is something maybe you can ,in turn help me with. I have good video
material to support all of the plays we are studying in the course, except
for this section. I couldn't afford to rent even one of the Chichester series
put out by Films for the Humanities, and I couldn't find another rental source.
I know of no other video document that might vibrantly stimulate the students'
imagination and confirm visually and aurally that this 'stuff' is indeed not
primitive. Do you?