Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 19:52:59 EST
From:           Andre G. Bourassa <bourassa.andre_g@uqam.ca>
Date:           Saturday, 11 Mar 95 14:54:46 EST
Subject:        Re: SHK 6.0195  Re: Black Characters on Shakespeare's Stage

In _Harper's Weekly_, 1st Septembre 1883, p. 556, there is a full page
etching of black clowns playing what seems to be a parody of _Hamlet_.
The subtitle reads: "The English Mania for Private Theatricals Invades
Blackville. - Drawn by Sol Eytinge, Jun."

I found that in an antique shop of Charleston and do not know where that
paper is from. There is an article about a summer place called Long Branch,
close to New York, on the reverse side, p. 555. I do not know either if
the designer, showing what seems to be Hamlet in front of his father's
ghost, is mocking white English actors, or mocking black amateurs in a
parody of white actors.
The scene is quite sophisticated and my American friends, to whom I
showed it, couldn't tell if it was politically correct or not because,
not knowing the etcher nor the paper, we couldn't see who was mocking whom.
Andre G. Bourassa