référence : http://listes.cru.fr/arc/mascarene/1995-04/msg00015.html

Re: William Gill, Scenic Artist BOURASSA ANDRE G

Cher Patrick,
Formidable! Un peintre scenique de plus. Je te transmets ma reponse sur
le reseau au cas ou d'autres chercheurs pourraient t'aider.

Renee Noiseux-Gurik, dans "Quelques peintres-decorateurs professionnels
de l'activite theatrale montrealaise" (_L'Annuaire theatral_, no 11,
printemps 1992, p. 77-136), ne mentionne pas William Gill. Cependant, a
propos de l'ouverture de l'Academie de musique, elle renvoie a _The
Gazette_, 13 novembre 1875, p. 2, ou les peintres sont mentionnes, mais
pas Gill. Etait-il encore apprenti? compagnon? Le journal ne
mentionne-t-il que les maitres, meme si les apprentis et les compagnons
ont collabore a l'oeuvre? Le journaliste anonyme parle d'un "staff of
artists", mais il n'en nomme que trois. Les autres journaux ont-ils aussi
fourni quelques noms supplementaires?
Voici un extrait de l'article de la _Gazette_, qui fait etat de la
presentation de la salle a la presse, avant le premier spectacle:
"The curtain having been raised [...], the whole scenic paraphernalia
were, _seriatim_, disclosed to view. First came the drop scene, a capital
picture of Lake Memphremagog, with its glorious setting of mountains,
chief among which towers Owl's Head, with a bluish misty fringe relieving
his perennial baldness. The scene is effectively encased in what seems a
framework of gold. The name of the artist: Mr. Seavy, of New York, who
superintended this department, is visible at the foot of the picture.
'Well begun is half done', and 'all's well that ends well', both these
ancient saws are applicable to the series of stage views of which this
one was the commencement. The remaining ones we must be satisfied with
little more than mentioning. The artists who executed them are Messrs. J.
W. Rough, E. Lewis and Mr. Seavy himself. The two former gentlemen belong
to the permanent staff of artists engaged by the latter. The pieces are
the following, the artist being indicated by the initial letter of his
surname: - Landscape (R), Wayside Inn, a pretty rural scene of creditable
workmanship (R), and a Gothic scene, which is also very praiseworthy (R),
a Prison (L), a _Salon_ (R), an Ocean Scene, well designed and executed
(S), Plain Room (L), Garden Scene, very pretty (S), Modern and Ancient
Street (both R), Kitchen (L) and Palace (R). Besides these, which are all
very creditable, some of them worthy of criticism, there, in all, 72 side
pieces or wings, two sets of sky borders, straight and arched drapery
borders, and a great variety of set pieces, bridges, rocks, balustrades,
including a fine piece of prospective drawing by Mr. Rough, and the lobby
fresco by the same gentleman."

P.S. Il y a un autre artiste du nom de Gill, Charles Gill, une generation
apres William Gill. J'essaierai de voir s'il y a un lien entre les deux

Amities, Andre G. Bourassa.