référence : http://listes.cru.fr/arc/mascarene/1997-06/msg00020.html

Re: Les belles-soeurs Mariel O'Neill-Karch

Au sujet de la dernière scène des Belles-Soeurs :

Voici ce qu'en pense Tremblay, selon une entrevue, publiée en anglais, dans
Donald Smith, VOICES OF DELIVERANCE, Toronto : Anansi, 1986, p. 212.

«For me, O CANADA in French is an anthem of submission. It's pretty ironic
to have a woman who's collapsed, and who's been robbed of everything, get
up and join everyone else in the last two verses - in the French version,
the words are literally 'And your greatness, forged by faith / Will protect
our homes and our rights' - especially since both her home and her rights
have just been trampled upon. It was a political move, having a woman like
that resien herself completely when she should have revolted against it
all. In LES BELLES-SOEURS every monologue is a sort of attempted revolution
or rebellion, but unfortunately it's taking place in 1965; the end of Rose
Ouimet's monologue is quite explicit when she says 'Woman can't do that;
women are just going to stay stuck.' They're women who should have rebelled
but it was too early in our history for that to happen. They know whay
they're unhappy and they'd like it to change, but they still don't have the
means to do it. All they can do is give in and go on accepting it. As a
matter of fact, when LES BELLES-SOEURS is performed again, that's what's
going to stand out the most; peiple haven't noticed it so much up until now
because we were still too much involved in the play. LES BELLES-SOEURS is
the last time women accept what's being done to them.»

Amicalement,

Mariel O'Neill-Karch
Université de Toronto