référence : http://listes.cru.fr/arc/mascarene/1998-09/msg00018.html

La belette de Harold Pinter: synthèse Jean-Jacques Delfour

Bonjour.

La question était:
La source exacte de cette phrase de Harold Pinter: «Dans mes œuvres,
l’essentiel, c’est la belette sous la cave à liqueurs».

Synthèse

1
Bertrand Rouge a publié les actes d'un colloque où figure un article de
Régis Salado intitulé: "'The Weasel under the cocktail cabinet': non-dit
et faux-semblant dans le théâtre d'Harold Pinter."
Il y est précisé que, lors d'un discours de remerciement après avoir
reçu à Hambourg le German Shakespeare Prize, Pinter aurait déclaré:
Once, many years ago, I found myself engaged uneasily in a public
discussion on the theatre. Someone asked me what my work was "about." I
replied with no thought at all and merely to frustrate this line of
enquiry: "The weasel under the cocktail cabinet." That was a great
mistake. Over the years I have seen that remark quoted in a number of
learned
columns...

2
I'm afraid I can't at the moment put my hand on the original source of
"la
belette sous la cave a liqueurs" but you might be interested in Pinter's

own later comment, which he made at the University of Hamburg, 4 June,
1970,
in acceptance of a Shakespeare Prize:  "Once, many years ago, I found
myself
engaged uneasily in a public discussion on the theatre. Someone asked me

what my work was 'about'. I replied with no thought at all and merely to

frustrate this line of enquiry, 'The weasel under the cocktail cabinet.'

That was a great mistake. Over the years, I have seen that remark quoted

in a number of learned columns. It has now seemingly acquired a profound

significance, and is seen to be a highly relevant and meaningful
observation about my own work. But for me the remark meant precisely
nothing ...
        "What am I writing about? Not the weasel under the cocktail
cabinet. I am not concerned with making general statements. I am not
interested in theatre used simply as a means of self-expression on the
part of the people engaged in it. ...
        "I can sum up none of my plays. I can describe none of them,
except to say: That is what they said. That is what they did."
        David Blostein

Merci à tous.
Amicalement.
JJD