From: Patricia Wesp <pmwesp@wm.edu>
Subject: Moliere translations (bad)

I'm trying to make sense of the limited clothing references in the Misanthrope,
and the translations I have available are little help.

The most problematic is the description of the guard from the Marshalsea, who wears

une jacquette a grands-basques plissees, avec du dor dessus

which gets translated as a long tailcoat with gold all over or as a swallowtail coat
with gold on it...

might this be either the hongreline, which I think is the surtout worn by the military in the early 17th c. (pops on like a poncho, 3 musketeers style?), or the justaucorps a brevets, which show up in about 1662? Clearly lavish, gold embroideries on the outside,
blue lined w/red, etc. -- an honorific, worn by cronies of the King.

I know I'm groping, but the translators were not trying to make sense of the original, only to impress their 20th c. audiences... I think they're trying to describe English Court livery from the early 20th c. but I'm not sure. They're not doing it very well, either way.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated!

Tric Wesp