référence : http://listes.cru.fr/arc/mascarene/2007-10/msg00010.html

Re: Info sur neurosciences Evelyn Birge Vitz

Suite aux questions posées sur "théâtre et neuroscience", un colloque qui peut intéresser certains d'entre vous:
"Theory of Mind and Literature"
http://www.cla.purdue.edu/fll/ToM/index.htm

Voici le résumé de la communication que j'y présenterai:
“Performance of medieval literature and its impact on the mind, emotions, and body”
     Contemporary medievalists commonly speak of the reception of literature in the Middle Ages in terms of readers and reading. Indeed they generally assume, if only implicitly, that the reading in question is private and silent—as is our “performance” norm today. But considerable literary, historical, iconographical and musical evidence indicates that many medieval works received strong, live performance, often from memory. This was the case not merely of plays and songs, but also of narrative works such as epics, romances, fabliaux, and others—especially works composed in verse, through the 14th century.
   This paper focuses on performance of medieval French narrative; it draws both on my scholarship and on experiments in the classroom, and discusses a wide range of works and kinds of performance. My paper also draws on research in non-verbal communication—in particular on the transmission of emotion—as well as on very recent work in neuroscience. I argue that live, semi-dramatic performance affects the cognition of works in important ways: it provides a particularly wide range of stimuli to the brain, and it heightens emotional response. Moreover, such performance produces a “mirroring” response (e.g., mirror neurons) in the brain: audiences react to what they see and hear with strong cognitive/affective/behavioral participation; performed literature is thus peculiarly “exemplary,” providing models of feeling and behavior to audiences

Cordialement,
Timmie Vitz
^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
Evelyn (Timmie) Birge Vitz
Professor of French
Affiliated Professor of Comparative Literature,
  Medieval and Renaissance Studies, and Religious
  Studies
19 University Place, #623
New York, NY 10003
Email: ebv1@nyu.edu
Phone: 212 998-8724
Fax: 212 995-3539, Attention Vitz
Homepage: http://homepages.nyu.edu/~ebv1
"Performing Medieval Narrative Today: A Video Showcase": http://euterpe.bobst.nyu.edu/mednar/
"Storytelling in Performance": http://www.nyu.edu/humanities.council/workshops/storytelling/

---------------------------------------------------------------queatre-+

Nous recommandons de ne pas diffuser de  courriels traînant toute
une série de messages antérieurs. Pour connaître les interventions
précédentes, voir: <http://www.er.uqam.ca/listes/arc/queatre/>.

>>> Pour être retiré de cette liste d'envois,

écrire à:   listproc@uqam.ca

    avec comme seule ligne de message:

unsubscribe QUEATRE

Note: la commande doit apparaître dans le corps du message,
      NON PAS dans le Sujet.