référence : http://listes.cru.fr/arc/webiblio-l/2007-01/msg00012.html

L'avenir des règles de catalogage et de notre catalogue Nault, Pierre

Bonjour à tous,

            Ci-joint un article très intéressant (http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january07/coyle/01coyle.html) qui souligne les pour et les contre de la refonte des règles de catalogage anglo-américaines entreprises depuis 2004, de son impact sur le traitement documentaire et sur les catalogues des bibliothèques. On y parle entre autre des tensions entre ceux qui sont pour le nouveau standard RDA (Resource Description an Access), décrit comme un simple changement incrémental par les autres qui pensent plutôt que nous devons changer radicalement notre façon de concevoir le catalogage si nous voulons véritablement entrer dans l'ère du numérique.

            Des extraits...

*	« Today the development of computer technology and electronic document production presents a significantly different challenge than libraries had only fifty years ago, a time when information resources and the libraries that held them were still rooted in the era of books and periodicals, and the card catalog was the entry point to the library's physical holdings. »

*	"To make an effective transition to the new reality, librarians need to undertake a broad analysis of how the changing information technology and our rapidly evolving information resources are changing user behavior. The goal of that analysis should be to mold the user service of the future, recognizing that users and their information needs should be our primary focus. This will mean that our vision of the catalog and of cataloging must make a radical transformation."

*	"At first seen as amateurish, the Internet gained in bona fides to the point that today some disciplines give preference to online publication, taking advantage of increased speed of delivery to an audience and broader geographical coverage. The library catalog and its conventions, valued by libraries as both an inventory of regularly published items and as the sharing mechanism for catalog entries, does not have a means to respond to this new, more chaotic information environment."

*	One of the key aspects of library cataloging that has kept a larger community from embracing library practices is the sheer complexity of the rules. Even within the library world there is beginning to be some questioning of the cost-effectiveness of library cataloging conventions.

De la conclusion...

*	"Prior to elaborating detailed cataloging rules for libraries, we need to decide whether the user will view a general bibliographic tool that connects users and information resources no matter their origin, or continue to view a library inventory, that requires users to look elsewhere for other information they might need. In parallel, we need a concerted effort to work with interested non-library communities to apply principles of systems analysis to define the functional requirements and use cases that can assist in focusing the general principles and general rule development for bibliographic description. »

Bonne lecture!

pierre

Pierre Nault

Bibliothécaire

Technologies de l'information, Service des bibliothèques

Université du Québec à Montréal

Bureau A-3281

nault.pierre@uqam.ca

Tél. 514-987-3000 poste 4554